DIY : Upgrading SJ8 Pro firmware from Official to Unofficial Firmware
Hi Guy’s. Today I will tell you how you can upgrade your firmware from SJCAM’s official firmware to a Hacker’s Unofficial firmware without bricking your action cam and give you amazing video quality at 1080P 60 FPS.
This article is on how to upgrade from SJCAM’s official V 1.3 to Kaliningrad’s Unofficial Mod 4.2 firmware.
Things to keep in mind
- Your SJ8 must be on SJCAM’s official V1.3 firmware before installing the Mod 4.2 firmware.
- Once you have installed the Mod 4.2 firmware, do not accidentally install future SJCAM official firmware’s, you may brick your camera.
- You can always roll back to V1.3 from Mod 4.2 and then later install future SJCAM firmware’s.
Installing Mod 4.2 Procedure
- If you are not already on the official V1.3 firmware, please upgrade or downgrade to V1.3.
- Format your Camera’s memory card.
- Go to this website http://videoreg.forum2.net/viewtopic.php?id=79&p=8#p6893 and create an id.
- Download the Mod 4.2 firmware.
- To unzip the file, just PM Kalliningrad to get the password.
- Once you enter the password, you will get 2 files, .ch and .bin files.
- Copy both the files to the root folder of your memory card.
- Insert the memory card into your SJ8 Pro and start the camera.
- Voila ! The update begins and new firmware Installs. It takes a few minutes to complete so make sure your battery is 100% charged and that you do not accidentally try turning ON and OFF your camera thinking the update is complete.
- Once update is complete your camera screen automatically turns on with SJCAM logo.
To see the video quality comparisons between SJ8 Pro Mod 4.2 Vs SJ7 Start V1.22 and SJ8 Mod 4.2 vs V1.3 vs V1.3.1 check the video link below